- About TLA
- Media Room
- Officer Resources
- Services & Resources
- TLA Office
- Be A Member
- Conference & Events
- Career Resources
- TX Libraries
- Members Only
Get Ready for Battledecks
Even in Austin
it doesn't get
SIGN UP to compete
SHOW UP to enjoy
Wednesday, April 19, 4-5:00 pm at TLA Annual Conference in San Antonio.
Those Bookcart Drill Teams are back, but there's another event with a similar potential for unbridled fun. If you've never witnessed a Battledecks competition, make room in your conference schedule to cheer on the brave souls who stand before an audience and present timed talks on a set of never-before-seen slides. Contestants are expected not only to weave their comments around the projected images, but also to string the talk on a theme announced on the spot. Impromptu nonsense is guaranteed, and you'll be amazed (as well as amused) by the creativity and composure of your participating colleagues. Better yet, sign up to try it yourself.
Entering the Competitiion
10 contestant positions are open on a first-come, first-served basis (Rule #1 below). A 10th contestant will be drawn from the combined pool of folks who didn’t make it in the first 9 names and everyone who registers at the event. If anyone in the initial 10 doesn't show up, additional names will be drawn from the same pool to determine replacement speakers.
Battledecks Rules for 2017
- Contestants are invited to pre-register by March 31, 2017 by emailing Michael Mendez with name and best phone number. Contestants are encouraged to include a humorous introduction for themselves (no more than 4 sentences). Nine contestant positions will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis; remaining entries will be printed and combined with entries submitted at the event for a random drawing for the coveted 10th “wildcard” position.
- At the event, contestants will wait outside the room until called. The organizers will call them in random order. Contestants may remain in the room after speaking.
- Each contestant will speak for up to 4 minutes on 10 slides provided by the contest organizers. The slides will be pre-loaded. No contestant may view the slides in advance of speaking. Each contestant will control the movement of slides for his/her presentation. All contestants must stop speaking when time is called at 4 minutes.
- An illustrious panel of 3 judges and a timekeeper will score each presentation on smooth delivery, number of slides used, and time used. The judges will determine the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place among all contestants. The decisions of the judges will be final.
- Prizes will be awarded to first, second, and third place winners.
- By participation in this event, winners agree to allow their names and images to be used in TLA publications to acknowledge their victories and publicize future events.
The TLA Battledecks programs are coordinated by the TALL Texans Round Table and the New Members Round Table.
Created on Feb 20, 2014 | Last updated October 25, 2016