- About TLA
- Media Room
- Officer Resources
- Services & Resources
- TLA Office
- Be A Member
- Conference & Events
- Career Resources
- TX Libraries
- Members Only
A. Individual members shall receive:
- A membership card;
- Official publications of TLA;
- All general association mailings;
- A listing in the Membership Directory.
B. Institutional and Corporate
1. Institutional members shall:
a. Receive all general Association mailings;
b. Receive a listing in the membership directory;
c. Receive official publications;
d. Receive a membership plaque;
e. Receive no Division, Round Table, or Interest Group membership;
f. Receive no entitlement to vote.
2. Corporate members shall receive recognition commensurate with their support of TLA.
C. Affiliate members shall:
- Receive one copy of all TLA publications to one designated member;
- Be allowed exhibit space and membership meeting space at Annual Conference on a lowered priority basis.
A. The President shall:
- Be the official representative of the organization or name a designee;
- Represent the Executive Board at District meetings not attended by the President-Elect;
- Appoint a Representative-At-Large to represent the Executive Board in the event that either the President or President-Elect is unable to attend District meetings;
- Represent TLA at the ALA Legislative Day in April of the year that the term of office begins. If unable to attend, the incoming President-Elect will be the representative using funds from the President's travel account;
- Call Council and Executive Board meetings;
- Preside at Executive Board, Council, Annual Assembly, and Membership meetings;
- Coordinate the work of all TLA Units;
- Appoint, with recommendations of the Executive Board prior to making assignments, committees and designate committee chairs with the exception of the Nominating Committee;
- Inform each Committee chair at the beginning of each fiscal year, that an amount not to exceed thirty percent (30%) of the Committee's previous fiscal year allocation may be encumbered or spent before the budget for the fiscal year is approved;
- Inform the chair each year of the responsibility to examine the Committee's "charge" and make appropriate suggestions and recommendations;
- Act as liaison to Standing Committees and Units as designated;
- Plan with the Public Information Committee the materials and/or project for the year;
- Appoint no fewer than three tellers to count ballots or votes;
- Be responsible for overall Conference planning;
- Approve the Conference Program Committee's selection of theme and format for the Annual Conference;
- Appoint a member of TLA to attend all meetings of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. The representative is to notify the President, chair of the Legislative Committee, and Legal Counsel of any matters discussed relevant to the legislative program;
- 1Direct the TLA Legal Counsel to notify TLA representatives of all meeting dates of the State Library and Archives Commission;
- Contribute a "President's Column" to each issue of the TEXAS LIBRARY JOURNAL, in order to communicate to membership a necessary overview of the activities of the Association;
- Sign checks for authorized payment of TLA expenditures in the absence of the Executive Director;
- Designate Executive Board members to serve as liaisons with TLA Standing Committees and Units.
- Appoint TLA members to attend meetings of the Texas State Board of Education and then report relevant concerns or actions to the TLA Executive Board, TLA Legislative Committee Chairperson, and TLA Legal Counsel.
B. The President-Elect shall:
- Preside at meetings in the absence of the President;
- Assume the office of President after serving a term of one year as President-Elect, except under circumstances specified in Article IV, Section 4;
- Represent the TLA Executive Board at District meetings not attended by the President;
- Perform such duties as assigned by the President and the Executive Board;
- Act as liaison to Standing Committees and Units as designated by the President;
- Appoint a Conference Evaluation Committee which shall be responsible for program evaluation of the conference at which the President-Elect serves as President-Elect and for a survey of topics for the next year's conference.
- Announce the names of TLA Corporate Sponsors, any company contributing $5000.00 or more to the Texas Library Association during a Conference year, at the Second General Session of the Annual Conference.
C. The Treasurer shall:
- Report on the state of the finances of the Association at Council meetings, the Membership meeting during Annual Conference, and meetings of the Executive Board;
- Specify the type and frequency of such financial reports deemed necessary and desirable to ascertain the status of the Association's finances from the office of the Executive Director and will review the financial reports on at least a quarterly basis;
- Monitor all investments of the Association to ascertain that the maximum earnings on investments consistent with sound investment methods have been achieved and to advise the Executive Director and Executive Board on future investment opportunities;
- Work with the Budget Committee to recommend the selection of the auditor for approval by the Executive Board;
- Review the preliminary and subsequent findings of the auditor with the Executive Director and the Budget Committee;
- Review the auditor's findings with the Executive Board and shall ensure timely compliance with audit recommendations;
- Review the periodic financial reports of the Association distributed to the Board or the membership including the summary reports of disbursements and revenues of the Annual Conference;
- Provide an appropriate oversight process to ensure the adequacy of the system of internal controls and to ensure an appropriate financial risk management program for the Association;
- Update for approval by the Executive Board an investment policy and a business plan for the Association;
- Review policies and practices with the staff and management to ensure the Association’s compliance with all widely accepted professional accounting standards for a well-managed nonprofit organization;
- Make recommendations as to whether adequate funds are available before the Association initiates new projects and services;
- Not be empowered to bind the Association to any financial obligations; shall not receive any monies; and shall not be empowered to issue or draw any funds;
- Be an individual qualified by virtue of education or experience in the area of financial management;
- Serve as liaison to the Scholarship and Research Committee.
D. The Representatives-At-Large shall:
- Represent the Executive Board at District meetings when the President or President-Elect is unable to attend;
- Perform such duties as assigned by the President;
- Act as liaison to the Standing Committees and Units as designated by the President.
- Act as a contact person for members who wish to ask questions or to bring concerns to either the Executive Board or the Council.
E. The Immediate Past President shall:
- Serve as chair of Budget Committee and Conference Manual Committee;
- Act as liaison to Standing Committees and Units as designated by the President;
- Represent the TLA Executive Board at District meetings if necessary;
- Serve as consultant to the contributing editor for the TEXAS LIBRARY JOURNAL column that contains Association news.
F. The ALA Councilor shall:
- Serve as a voting member of the Executive Board and Council;
- Act as liaison to Standing Committees and Units as designated;
- Represent the Executive Board at District meetings when the President or President-Elect is unable to attend.
In the event a member of the Executive Board is absent without due cause from two meetings during the tenure of office, the position shall be declared vacant by Council and a new election shall take place according to the Bylaws, Article IV, Section 4.
A. The Nominating Committee shall:
- Nominate two candidates for the offices of President-Elect, Treasurer, ALA Councilor and Representatives-At-Large. In the event that a candidate must withdraw prior to the balloting, a replacement shall be named by the committee;
- Accept any written petition signed by twenty-five (25) members as nomination for any office, such petitions to be accompanied by written acceptance from the nominee and to be received by the Nominating Committee chair in accordance with the Committee's Calendar as stipulated in these STANDING RULES.
- Report the candidates' names to the Executive Board no later than Annual Assembly.
- Tellers shall make a written report of results to the President and the Nominating Committee;
- A majority of total votes cast elects.
- Should an election result in an exact tie between candidates, the person currently holding the contested position would continue in office until a new election could be held.
- During the term of their appointment, which concludes with the certification of the election results, not campaign or endorse a particular candidate.
- Approve the annual budget of TLA, provided that the Executive Board has the power to amend the budget within the limits of the total budget approved;
- Authorize a membership referendum on questions of policy;
- Fill vacancies in the office of Treasurer and among Representatives-At-Large on the Executive Board;
- Determine District boundaries;
- Grant permission for members to speak on issues;
- Retain all powers not otherwise provided for in the BYLAWS;
- Resolve a conflict in the election of officers;
- Be responsible for TLA long-range planning.
- In the event that a member of Council, other than an Executive Board member, is absent without due cause from two meetings during tenure of office, the position shall be declared vacant by Council and a new election shall take place according to the Unit's Bylaws.
- No person shall have more than one vote on Council.
- Council may, by majority vote, allow TLA members to address the Council.
- Council must meet after Divisions and Round Tables have met at Annual Conference.
- Tape recordings of Council meetings are to be placed in the archives after official minutes are approved.
- Minutes of all Council and Executive Board meetings must be forwarded to the Bylaws Committee chair and the Parliamentarian.
A. Convene and lead a caucus of Texas Librarians attending ALA Conferences to discuss issues and concerns before the ALA Council.
B. Deliver reports to Council and the Executive Board relating to ALA activities.
C. Attend Chapter Relations Committee meetings and Chapter Council Caucus during ALA Conferences.
- At least one of the regularly scheduled meetings each year shall be held in the headquarters city. This shall be exclusive of any meetings held at Annual Conference or Annual Assembly.
- The Immediate Past President shall be responsible for coordinating preparation of the annual budget for TLA.
- The Executive Board shall approve a member of the Executive Board to sign checks in the event of the incapacity of the Executive Director and President.
- The Executive Board shall determine bonding requirements for the Executive Director and Conference Treasurer.
- Reimbursement of transportation and hotel room expenses shall be paid to members for Board meetings except those held in conjunction with the Annual Conference and Annual Assembly.
- "Working meals" during meetings of the Board shall be paid by the Association. (Individual members must pay for their alcoholic beverages.)
- No other personal expenses shall be paid by the Association to any Executive Board member unless authorized by the Board.
- The Board approves by majority vote the Publications Committee's selection of the Editor(s) of the TEXAS LIBRARY JOURNAL.
- Advertising and subscription rates as recommended by the Publications Committee shall be approved by the Board.
- The Book Review Policy for the Publications Committee shall be approved by the Board.
The Board shall review the President's appointments to Association Committees.
The Board shall approve the establishment of all new awards including Unit awards.
The Board shall assume responsibility for addressing legislative issues not included in the TLA legislative platform. Actions shall be based on the advice of the TLA Legislative Committee.
H. Texas Bluebonnet Award Program
- Monitor the financial accountability of the TBA Program as a self-sustaining committee. This includes directing an annual audit of the TBA Program.
- Monitor the use of the TBA trademark/logo and take legal action against infringements associated with its use.
- Appoint a liaison to the TBAC to communicate the concerns/interests of the Board and the TLA Office to the TBAC.
- Appoint the Coordinator of the TBAC from a list of candidates provided by a joint committee of the Executive Boards of TASL and CRT. Based on an annual evaluation of this Coordinator, approve or reject the continuation of this appointee.
I. Texas Media Awards Program
- Monitor the financial accountability of the TMA Program as a self-sustaining committee. This includes directing an annual audit of the TMA program.
- Monitor the use of the TMA trademark/logo and take legal action against infringements associated with its use.
- Appoint a liaison to the TMAC to communicate the concerns/interests of the Board and the TLA Office to the TMAC.
A. TLA Accounts/Budget
- Base amount for the Reserve Account shall be ten percent (10%) of the annual operating budget.
- Savings account will be designated the Working Reserve Account.
- Financial statements are mailed to the Board as requested.
- The Executive Director will construct a formal statement of the scope, purpose, and procedures used to handle each TLA bank account at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- The Executive Director will date each check appropriately and note any unusual debits with a memo on the financial report.
- TLA will maintain a safety deposit box at the bank for the safekeeping of savings certificates and other documents.
- Amounts budgeted for committee work may not be used for unbudgeted expenses unless authorized by the Board.
- Increases or decreases of ten percent (10%) or more from the prior year in a budgeted line item must be footnoted and explained. A ten percent (10%) or more increase in a unit's overall budget must be footnoted with an explanation for the same by the submitting Unit or Committee chair.
B. Price schedule for Membership lists and labels shall be established by the Executive Board with the advice of the Executive Director.
C. When tour conductor passes are available to the Association, the following order for assignment shall be: for ALA meetings -- Executive Director, President, ALA Councilor, President-Elect, Representative-At-Large, either senior or chosen by lot; for State meetings the order shall be -- Executive Director, President, President-Elect, senior Representative-At-Large. Further, the ALA Councilor may receive a check for $200.00 or a tour conductor ticket plus the balance of the $200.00.
D. No personal expenses or honorariums shall be paid by TLA for TLA members and other Texas librarians presenting at Annual Conference, Annual Assembly, or District meetings with the exception of Executive Board members representing the Association at District meetings and TLA members and other Texas librarians who speak at District meetings other than their own.
E. Reimbursement, at a rate/amount established by the Executive Committee of any TLA unit, of transportation expenses incurred for travel to Annual Conference and/or Annual Assembly may be budgeted and paid by TLA units to unit officers and/or Councilors.
F. TLA will act as fiscal agent for the NEH and LSCA grants for the standard eight percent (8%) indirect cost.
G. The conference financial report is due in time for the conference check to be deposited by June 30.
H. Library schools will be charged for operating expenses for Alumni Dinners, ie., tickets, phone calls, etc.
I. Conference Registration
- Single day registration is required for all meal functions except the Friends and Trustees luncheon.
- Conference registration will be provided, without charge, to the chair of Local Arrangements Committee, chair of Conference Program Committee, and chair of Local Arrangements subcommittees.
- Program participants who are not members of TLA shall receive complimentary registration.
A. Unit Finance
- All expenditures must be submitted to the Executive Director as bills, receipts, or signed statements approved by the unit chair.
- Budgets shall not be proposed which could create a deficit in the unit's account.
- Unit financial accounts must be settled by June 1.
- Unit budgets may include, at a rate/amount established by the Executive Committee of any TLA unit, transportation expenses incurred for travel to Annual Conference and/or Annual Assembly may be budgeted and paid by TLA units to unit officers and/or Councilors.
- Once a TLA unit commits to make a financial contribution to TLA or another unit and the transaction has been made, the transaction can only be reversed with Executive Board approval.
B. Unit Exhibit Space
Units may be permitted exhibit space at cost for Conference in which sufficient booth space is available. "Sufficient space" will be determined by the Exhibits chair and will be allocated annually on a first-come, first-served basis.
C. District Meetings
- A District shall schedule an official meeting at least annually in accordance with its operating procedures.
- A District may schedule a Fall program. The date shall be set by the time of Annual Assembly.
- At the meeting, The District shall provide fifteen minutes on the program for a general TLA presentation by the Executive Board's Representative.
D. Unit Resolutions
Resolutions from any Unit which pertain to any legislative action must be routed to the Legislative Committee of the Association for review and recommendation before presentation to the Council by the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee. All other resolutions must be routed to the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee for review before presentation to Council.
E. Presiding Officers of Units
- The use of the title President is reserved for use by the presiding officer of the Association.
- The use of the title Director is reserved for use by the Executive Director of the Association.
- The title Chair will be used in the standing rules to refer to the presiding officer of a unit, including Districts which have a presiding officer.
- Units, including Districts which have a presiding officer, may use any title other than President or Director for their presiding officer.
F. Duties of Unit Chair
- Attend briefing meeting for new Chairs conducted at the Annual Conference by the President and Executive Director.
- Obtain and use official TLA stationery.
- Meet all deadlines set for Chairs by the Executive Board, Executive Director, Council, Chairs of TLA Committees, or TEXAS LIBRARY JOURNAL editor.
- Plan and arrange for elections within the unit. Results of elections must be reported to the President and to the Executive Director.
- Send to the Executive Director the minutes of all Unit meetings, results of elections, and reports of committees. At both the Annual Assembly and Annual Conference, the Unit Chair (or designee) transmits the "Instant Minutes" to the Executive Director before leaving the meeting, followed by comprehensive minutes within two weeks. Report to the Executive Director all appointments, resignations, and/or changes of address for Unit Officers.
- Schedule, prepare for, and chair meetings of the Unit. These meetings will vary with each with each unit but will ordinarily include meetings at the Annual Conference. Planning for these meetings should begin at least six months in advance and may include naming of a planning or local arrangements committee. This planning will include the following: Prepare and submit a skeletal budget (using Budget Request Form No. 6) to the Executive Board through the Executive Director by May 15. Document expenditures and submit invoices (Request for Reimbursement Form No. 1) to the Executive Director by June 1 for the close of the year.
- Choose speakers, coordinating with the TLA Program and other Unit heads to emphasize the conference theme and to avoid duplication;
- Make contact with speakers, agree on honorarium or fee, travel expenses, etc., to be paid within the budget;Coordinate room arrangements with the TLA Program chair, Local Arrangements chair, and Executive Director.
- Chairs are required to arrange transportation and rooms for guest speakers at annual meetings. The Unit will not be permitted to schedule speakers or programs which exceed the budget of the particular unit. Moreover, Chairs cannot enter into a contract which obligates TLA until the contract has been countersigned by the Executive Director.
- Planning for the guest speakers includes:
- Arrange travel details and hotel accommodations for all guest speakers.
- Arrange conference registration and meal tickets with the Executive Director who will charge the Unit's account when issuing the registration payments.
- Request checks for honorarium to be prepared by the Executive Director. These are to be picked up at the meeting of presiding officers at the opening of Annual Conference.
- Coordinate room arrangements with the TLA Program chair, Local Arrangements chair, and Executive Director.
- Coordinate meal functions with the Conference Meals Committee. Unit chair may wish to appoint a local arrangements person to work with this committee. The Unit chair will be responsible for seating arrangements, head table, microphones, lecterns, etc. After the menu is chosen, the price should be set to cover the cost of the meal including tax, gratuities, and other related expenses as necessary. The Unit chair will also make arrangements for the sale of tickets at registration.
- Send copies of all major correspondence and general mailings to the Executive Director, including correspondence received by the chair if it impinges on TLA as a whole.
- Submit to the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee, six hours in advance of Council meetings, all motions/resolutions voted during the meeting of the Unit which require Council action. All resolutions not submitted in advance will require two-thirds vote of Council for consideration.
- Contact the Executive Office prior to asking a prospective exhibitor to underwrite a program, supply a speaker, provide refreshments, prizes, etc.
- Adhere to the TLA archives policy.
- For those Districts which have a Chair, the Immediate Past chair shall serve a one year term as the Volunteer Coordinator for his/her district and work cooperatively with the District Planning Committee and its chair in identifying and recruiting volunteers for the TLA Annual Conference activities.
G. Joint Committees
Units may have joint committees with other Units. Each Unit's Bylaws must include the joint committee with terms of office, method of appointment, and duties of the committee specified. The Executive Board Liaison to the sponsoring units will also be the liaison for the joint committees.
H. Social Media Policy
- TLA units agree to update their unit's web pages on the TLA website with the understanding that the web pages are the official channel for publishing the unit's minutes, rosters, and news, and adhere to the Social Media Policy of the TLA Executive Board.
- TLA units may create their own social media sites specifically for their unit to foster communication and member engagement but must adhere to the Social Media Policy of the TLA Executive Board.
- Units are responsible for maintaining their sites, posting information, ensuring sustainability of the sites, and providing TLA with an administrative login.
- Units must adhere to the legal requirements for TLA's tax exempt status and compliance with federal law in such areas as copyright, confidentiality, ethical and non-defamatory speech, and such other regulations and policies as monitored by the Executive Board.
- The Social Media Policy shall be mainitained by the Executive Board.
I. External Communications Policy
- TLA units may create, publish, and promote publications that adhere to the External Communications Policy of the TLA Executive Board.
- Units must adhere to the legal requirements for TLA's tax exempt status and compliance with federal laws in such areas as copyright, confidentiality, ethical and defamatory speech, and such other regulations and policies as monitored by the Executive Board. Units are expected to adhere to the highest standard of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- Any content that is a publication (i.e. printed report, website, blog template, brochure, giveaway) that is intended to reach beyond the unit to an outside audience must be approved by the TLA Office to ensure consistency with TLA's mission, goals, and standards. Such publications must be submitted to the TLA Office before being finalized and made publicly available.
- The External Communications Policy shall be maintained by the Executive Board.
Rule 9. STANDING AND SPECIAL COMMITTEES
A. COMMITTEE MEMBER QUALIFICATIONS
All persons appointed to serve as TLA committee members and chairpersons must be members in good standing of TLA prior to April 30th each year throughout the term of his/her appointment. Persons not fulfilling this requirement shall be replaced by TLA president.
B. COMMITTEE CHAIRS RESPONSIBILITIES
- Schedule, prepare agenda, conduct and maintain records of all meetings. Meetings should be scheduled during Annual Conference, Annual Assembly, and at other times as deemed `necessary by the chair. Instant minutes (Form No. 5) of each meeting must be sent to the Executive Director within twenty-four hours, followed by comprehensive minutes within two weeks of the meeting;
- Prepare and submit a budget (Form No. 6) to the Executive Board through the Immediate Past President by May 15. Obtain prior authorization from the Executive Board for projected expenses not budgeted. All expenditures must be documented and invoices submitted (Form No. 1) to the Executive Director for reimbursement by June 1, of the year following the close of term of office;
- Study Committee goals and any special instructions from the Executive Board, determine and execute a plan of action and cooperate with all TLA units in accomplishing goals;
- Attend all Council meetings and be prepared to report on Committee activities. If unable to attend, appoint a representative. Obtain from the representative all materials and information distributed at the meeting;
- Report to the Executive Director and President all resignations and/or changes of address;
- Prepare progress reports, one to be submitted by December 1, and one to be submitted at least four weeks prior to Annual Conference. Copies shall be sent to the Executive Director and President;
- Adhere to the TLA archives policies and procedures;
- Transfer all files to the incoming standing committee chair at the end of Annual Conference.
C. SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY
- TLA committees agree to update their committee's web pages on the TLA website with the understanding that the web pages are the official channel for publishing the committee's minutes, rosters, and news, and adhere to the Social Media Policy of the TLA Executive Board.
- TLA committees may create their own social media sites specifically for their committee to foster communication and member information but must adhere to the Social Media Policy of the TLA Executive Board.
- Committees are responsible for maintaining their sites, posting information, ensuring sustainability of the sites and providing TLA with an administrative login.
- Committees must adhere to the legal requirements for TLA's tax exempt status and compliance with federal law in such areas as copyright, confidentiality, ethical and non-defamatory speech, and such other regulations and policies as monitored by the TLA Executive Board.
- The Social Media Policy shall be maintained by the TLA Executive Board.
D. EXTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS POLICY
- TLA Committees may create, publish, and promote publications that adhere to the External Communications Policy of the TLA Executive Board.
- Committees must adhere to the legal requirements for TLA's tax exempt status and compliance with federal laws in such areas as copyright, confidentiality, ethical and defamatory speech, and such other regulations and policies as monitored by the Executive Board. Committees are expected to adhere to the highest standard of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- Any content that is a publication (i.e., printed report, website, blog template, brochure, giveaway) that is intended to reach beyond the Association members to an outside audience must be approved by the TLA Office to ensure consistency with TLA's mission, goals, and standards. Such publications must be submitted to the TLA Office before being finalized and made publicly available.
- The External Communications Policy shall be maintained by the TLA Executive Board.
E. COMMITTEE CHARGES
Ad hoc committees shall be appointed by the President to carry out a specific task. At the completion of this assignment, the committee shall cease to exist.
- The office of the Association is located at 3355 Bee Cave Road, Suite #401, Austin, Texas 78746. The telephone number is (512) 328-1518.
- The office is operated by the Executive Director with staff as budgeted.
- The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except during the events of Annual Conference and Annual Assembly when the office operates from the event city or venue.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director and in collaboration with the Executive Board, the staff of the Texas Library Association supports the Association to ensure compliance with the legal and financial requirements and the smooth administration of activities, services, and functions.
- Serve as secretary to the Association, Council, and Executive Board;
- Sign all checks in payment of TLA expenditures which have been authorized in writing by unit chairs, included in the annual budget or approved by the Executive Board or Council.
- Serve as ex-officio member of all committees except Nominating Committee without the privilege of making motions or voting.
- All TLA meetings will be designated non-smoking areas.
- Religious Holidays -- Official meetings such as Annual Conference, Annual Assembly, and District meetings should be scheduled to avoid conflict with major religious holidays if at all possible.
- All individuals participating in TLA meetings and events (i.e. registered attendees, speakers, exhibitors, and guests) are required to adhere to the "Code of Conduct for All Individuals at TLA Events".
- The "Code of Conduct for All Individuals at TLA Events" shall be maintained by the TLA Executive Board.
- Adopted by majority vote or 2/3 vote.
- These STANDING RULES may be amended or rescinded in the following ways:
- By two-thirds vote of Council without prior notice;
- By a majority vote of Council with prior notice.
C. These STANDING RULES may be suspended by a majority vote of Council.
- All BYLAWS changes mailed for membership vote shall be accompanied by an information statement to provide a factual background or statements for and against the proposed changes.
- The Bylaws and Resolutions Committee Chair shall confer with the TLA President and the TLA Executive Director to determine which type of statement shall accompany the Bylaws Amendment ballot.
- The President shall appoint the person(s) to write an information statement or the supporting and dissenting statements.
Last Revised April 2015
Created on Apr 7, 2010 | Last updated September 16, 2016