- About TLA
- Media Room
- Officer Resources
- Services & Resources
- TLA Blog
- TLA Office
- Be A Member
- Conference & Events
- Career Resources
- TX Libraries
- Members Only
Cycling for Libraries, Texas Style
We're back! Join us in Austin for a fun day of cycling and touring unique libraries.
- Date: Tuesday, April 14th
- Time: 7:30 am-2:00 pm
- Place: 4th and Trinity or middle of 4th Street (between Trinity and Red River) at the Convention Center
- Cost: $35 for participants bringing their own bikes; $60 for participants needing rentals
- Registration: This is a separate event from the TLA Annual Conference. Registration for the conference is not required.
Fee includes t-shirt, snacks and lunch
WELCOME to our second Cycling for Libraries, or conference on a bike, event in Texas! In addition to spending the day exploring Austin streets, parks and institutions, participants will enjoy a memorable networking opportunity while visiting local libraries.
We will cycle about a 25-mile round trip from Austin's Convention Center to the east side of Austin. Our first stop is the Legislative Reference Library in the Texas Capitol. Learn what is so special about this library and its services! We then hop back on our bikes and enjoy a short 2 mile ride to the Carver Branch of the Austin Public Library. Why is this library unique? It became APL's first branch, and the first branch to serve black citizens. Then it is a scenic ride down the Walnut Creek Trail. This trail is approximately 7.3 miles in length and consists of a 10' wide concrete trail with 2' shoulders. There are several creek crossings and trail heads on the trail. Our last library stop will be the Regional Foundation Library where we will be touring and eating lunch. The Library has one of the most extensive Foundation Directory archives in the United States and is the fifth-oldest Foundation Center. Lunch provided by ThunderCloud Subs.
We will be riding the streets and bike trails. Never ridden 25 miles? Never fear! The route is mostly flat plus you have 10 weeks to prepare! The pace will be moderate, around 9-10 mph.
Click on the map to explore the route in Google Maps!
- 7:30 am-8:00 am: Check-in, pick up rental bikes at start location, biking instructions, and t-shirts
- 8:15 am: Leave the Convention Center. We need to keep a tight schedule, so please be ready to ride at 8:15 am!
- 8:45 am: Tour stop at the Legislative Research Library. Host and speaker: Donald Brower, Program Specialist
- 9:15 am: Visit the Carver Branch of the Austin Public Library. Hosts: Doreen Boyd, Director and William Donaldson, Administrative Senior
- 10:15 am: Arrive at Walnut Creek Trails. Ride is about 14 miles with snacks.
- 12:30 pm: Arrive at the Regional Foundation Library. Tour with Ellen Moutos Lee, Director. Lunch provided at this stop.
- 2:00 pm: Arrive back at the Convention Center
We will have riding with us a medic and a bike mechanic. At each location we will have volunteers watching the bikes, so locks are recommended but may not be needed.
For those renting a bike, we have secured a contract with Cycleast. Your bikes will be ready to pick up at 7:30 am at the registration area and Cycle East will pick them up at the end of the tour. Each rental will have a bottle cage, so feel free to bring your water bottles. The company is also providing a cyclist assistant during the ride.
Created on Feb 12, 2014 | Last updated February 25, 2015