- About TLA
- Be A Member
- Attend Events
- Career Resources
- Texas Libraries
- Members Only
Current 2x2 Reading List
The 2X2 Reading List is a project of the Children’s Round Table, a unit of the Texas Library Association.
Texas Library Association sponsors the 2X2 Reading List solely to encourage free voluntary reading.
Titles on the 2x2 lists are paired with activities to make reading together even more fun.
Suggestions of books for the committee to consider for inclusion on the reading list may be made by librarians, teachers and parents.
Points to consider when recommending a book for consideration by the 2x2 committee.
You must have read the book.
The content of the book must be age appropriate for children two years through grade two.
The copyright date must be 2013 for the 2014 list.
Only book formats are eligible.
The book must have an English text, but dual language and translations will be considered.
The book must have received a favorable review in a reviewing source.
Ineligible categories of materials are textbooks, abridgments, and new editions or portions of books previously published.
Suggestions for the next list must be submitted by November 15, 2013.
Visit the Mackin Booktalk website, which is is made possible by leading authors, publishers, state award programs and Mackin Educational Resources.
2013 2x2 Reading List (This list as a doc)
- Allen, Kathryn Madeline. A Kiss Means I Love You. Photographs by Eric Futran. Albert Whitman. ISBN 978-0807541869. $15.99. Ages 2-5. Children use body language to communicate - “A kiss means I love you, a wave means hello; a smile means I’m happy, a tug means let’s go!”
- Bingham, Kelly. Z is for Moose. Illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky. Greenwillow. ISBN 978-0060799847. $16.99. Ages 4-7. A is for apple. B is for ball. C is for cat…ABC’s are supposed to be easy, but Zebra finds out the alphabet can be quite confusing when Moose shows up.
- Cecil, Randy. Horsefly and Honeybee. Henry Holt. ISBN 978-0805093001. $16.99. Ages 4-8. Honeybee and Horsefly do not like to share, but realize that in order to survive Bullfrog’s threat, they must join together.
- DePalma, Mary Newell. Bow-Wow Wiggle-Waggle. Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0802854087. $14. Ages 3-7. Fetching a ball turns into an adventure when an energetic puppy decides to chase a mischievous cat, engaging other animals along the way.
- Elya, Susan Middleton. Fire! ¡Fuego! Brave Bomberos. Illustrated by Dan Santat. Bloomsbury. ISBN 978-1599904610. $16.99. Ages 3-6. An exciting, rollicking race to save a burning house gives a glimpse of the firefighters’ bravery in this bilingual story.
- Frost, Helen. Step Gently Out. Photographs by Rick Lieder. Candlewick. ISBN 978-0763656010. $15.99. Ages 2-5. Look closely at the world around you and enjoy the amazing insects that share your space.
- Gershator, Phillis & Green, Mim. Time for a Hug. Illustrated by David Walker. Sterling. ISBN 978-1402778629. $9.95. Ages 3-5. Big Bunny and Little Bunny enjoy their busy day from sun-up to sun-down, but find the time to hug every hour of the day.
- Jenkins, Emily. Lemonade in Winter. Illustrated by G. Brian Karas. Schwartz/Wade. ISBN 978-0375858833. $16.99. Ages 3-7. Pauline and her brother John-John learn to market and sell lemonade, limeade, and lemon-limeade on a wintry day.
- Klassen, Jon. This Is Not My Hat. Candlewick. ISBN 978-0763655990. $15.99. Ages 4-8. Little fish confidently boasts of his theft, but learns quickly that crime doesn’t pay, or does it?
- LaRochelle, David. It’s a Tiger! Illustrated by Jeremy Tankard. Chronicle. ISBN 978-80811869256. $16.99. Ages 2-5. A boy is eager to begin his adventure in the jungle, only to be confronted by a dangerous tiger- over and over again!
- Mack, Jeff. Frog and Fly. Philomel. ISBN 978-0399256172. $12.99. Ages 3-6. Six slurpy stories, two comical characters, and a battle of wits assures only one will enjoy that last slurp!
- Mack, Jeff. Good News, Bad News. Chronicle. ISBN 978-1452101101. $16.99. Ages 3-6. An engaging interactive story finds two friends who go on a picnic together and discover that they view life very differently.
- Mortensen, Lori. Cindy Moo. Illustrated by Jeff Mack. HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0062043931. $16.99. Ages 3-6. One brave cow sets out to prove that cows really can leap over the moon and learns that persistence pays off.
- Norman, Kim. I Know a Wee Piggy. Illustrated by Henry Cole. Dial. ISBN 978-0803737358. $16.99. Ages 3-5. Piggy’s fun day at the county fair becomes chaos in this cumulative tale, as he wallows through layers of colors.
- Reagan, Jean. How to Babysit a Grandpa. Illustrated by Lee Wildish. Knopf. ISBN 978-0375867132. $16.99. Ages 5-8. This humorously informative guide explains what to expect when babysitting grandpa, and includes useful tips for young readers.
- Reynolds, Aaron. Creepy Carrots. Illustrated by Peter Brown. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-1442402973. $16.99. Ages 4-8. Jasper Rabbit loves carrots, especially the crispiest, most delicious ones he takes from Crackenhopper Field, until he begins to see carrots creeping all around him.
- Schwartz, Cory Rosen. The Three Ninja Pigs. Illustrated by Dan Santat. G. P. Putnam. ISBN 978-0399255144. $16.99. Ages 5-8. Why do wolves think they can come to town and blow all the houses down? Not this time, as these three little pigs show they just aren’t going to take it.
- Sutton, Sally. Demolition. Illustrated by Brian Lovelock. Candlewick. ISBN 978-0763658304. $15.99. Ages 3-7. The big machines and evocative sounds are sure to encourage repeated readings of this animated story.
- Thomas, Jan. Let’s Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy. Beach Lane. ISBN 978-1442442764. $12.99. Ages 3-5. Cows help the brave cowboy find his courage in the face of adversity.
- Whamond, Dave. Oddrey. Owlkids. ISBN 978-1926973456. $16.95. Ages 4-7. A girl who is considered the quirky kid in class and the recipient of much teasing saves the day…er, show when her classmates need a helping hand.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the Texas 2x2 Reading List. Remember, as you see great 2013 titles, don’t forget to submit a recommendation at http://www.txla.org/Suggest-2x2.
Created on Mar 26, 2010 | Last updated October 16, 2013